Using Hotwire to find a good deal, we were spoiled by staying the Mayfair neighbood very clo
se to the US Embassy. I passed on watching the financial panel on Weds evening (I know, what was I thinking!?) to window shop in Mayfair and Oxford Street....literally any and every shop you could think of! I met up with Kent and we searched for this tiny hotel famous for it's martini's - The Duke's Hotel. It was very close to our hotel, in the Picadilly area, and it was a nice evening for a walk (i.e. not raining). The attraction of the hotel cocktail bar -- besides it's posh show of making a martini tableside -- is due to James Bond author Ian Fleming coming up with the famous line "shaken, not stirred" here. I have to say, I am not a huge martini fan, but the Vesper that I had was really excellent, and Kent loved his martini as well.
se to the US Embassy. I passed on watching the financial panel on Weds evening (I know, what was I thinking!?) to window shop in Mayfair and Oxford Street....literally any and every shop you could think of! I met up with Kent and we searched for this tiny hotel famous for it's martini's - The Duke's Hotel. It was very close to our hotel, in the Picadilly area, and it was a nice evening for a walk (i.e. not raining). The attraction of the hotel cocktail bar -- besides it's posh show of making a martini tableside -- is due to James Bond author Ian Fleming coming up with the famous line "shaken, not stirred" here. I have to say, I am not a huge martini fan, but the Vesper that I had was really excellent, and Kent loved his martini as well.
The next day, I continued to explore London and window shop, including a fancy department store (similar, but smaller than Harrods) called Fortnum & Mason's. Two floors of gourmet food/drink and several more floors of home goods that I couldn't afford. Fun to look around though! Kent and I met up for an afternoon walk through Green Park to sneak a quick peek at Buckingham Palace (I had never seen it!) before he was off to another meeting. We met up later in the evening for his happy hour, a pub dinner, then home on the train. We were both exhausted - I think I walked about 10 miles around the city that day! We hopped the Tube to Paddington station and took a late train back to Oxford........
Cool. That sounds like a good time!
ReplyDelete