17 January, 2012

New job!


Big news for this month: I started a new job last Monday, Jan. 9!  I’ve been interviewing for a while and finally found the right fit.  I’m excited about the company, Kids II.  They make infant and toddler toys and gear.  You probably know a lot of their products and brands (Bright Starts, Taggies, Baby Einstein, Oball).  Check out the website:  http://www.kidsii.com/

It's just the size of company I've been looking for.  Dell was too huge, my last company too small.  Kids II a family business launched about 40 years ago in Atlanta; still privately owned.  They are now about 250 people in Atlanta and about 100 more all around the world. They are a leader in the toy industry...huge growth over the past 10 years, despite the economy.  The role should be a new challenge for me.  I am a Key Account Manager (aka sales!).   But it’s seems different than what I would think of as sales...I have established accounts and all the buyers really respect Kids II.  No cold calling.  I'll be managing the relationship with smaller/regional department stores and discounters such as Ross/TJMaxx/Marshalls.   

I was completely overwhelmed by the first week - meeting tons of new people, learning about 400 products, and figuring out their internal processes.   I haven't even begun to meet all of my accounts yet!   After the first week, I think I'm going to like it.  Everyone I've met has been really nice and great about teaching me what they do and how I will interact with them.  And the office is pretty awesome!  They just moved offices the week before I started to central Buckhead.  Brand new space spread over four floors of a high rise (floors 16-19).   That pic there is the slide from 19 (where I sit) to 18.   Pretty handy when you need to go downstairs fast!   

Now I just need to figure out the commute.  It's only 10 miles, but depending on what time I go, that could take 45 minutes.  I already got stuck going home one day last week for 90 minutes at a standstill (there was a bad accident).   I'll probably shift my day earlier, and hopefully avoid the terrible Atlanta traffic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment??