30 October, 2011

Four weeks until Ironman

Today I am officially 4 weeks out of Ironman!  Nov. 27 is the big day.  I haven't blogged much about my training and race prep - my getting back into serious training after almost 3 years "off", my tri bike purchase, my knee and ITB issues, getting to know the team at Atlanta Tri Club, the long rides and going to swim practice for the first time in 9 years.   

I should really go back and fill in the blanks on the blog for the 2 races I'm done.  One in Peachtree City (a sprint) and one in Augusta (a half-Ironman where I knew going in that I wasn't going to run because of my knee).    

But...it's all prep for the big race.  The 140.6.   2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 run.   I feel pretty confident in my training in the swim and bike.  I even feel confident in the 4th discipline of IM - nutrition.  The run is another story....

I go to Monday night swim practice almost every week, and it's great being back in with a team and getting in a solid, 1:15-1:30 hard workout.  I've gone the IM distance (4225 yards) several times on my own, and I'm not worried about the swim (except the rumor of jellyfish!).  On the bike, I've found a few gals in the tri club that are about my speed and doing IM Florida (this coming weekend), so we were able to get in several 100+ mile rides.   The first 100 I did was so hard, and it gets easier every time.   I did 113 once, so I know I can do the race distance.  (that was the day we rode from Atlanta to Alabama - see pic below!)

The run is another story, because of IT band syndrome in my right knee, I haven't run any substantial distance since early Aug.   I've been to the sports doc every week since then, and I think I have stumped their entire office.  After some painful and frustrating months of treatment, I was still able to only run 1-2 miles before the pain set in.  I never stopped cycling, so we have finally determined that it's likely cause by an incorrect bike fit.  I had my bike re-fit last week (something you're not supposed to do so close to the race!).  I'll see how it goes the next 2 weeks of final hard training.   Then with 2 weeks of taper and rest, hopefully my knee can make it through the marathon with some combo run/walk.    The IM marathon is tough enough, much less doing it with zero run training.  

But, my goal for this race was just to finish with a smile on my face.  To finish and not feel bad.  Well, I know I will not feel good, but not to feel devastated.....and perhaps even have the desire do another one.

So, a few final weeks of training and then we're off to Mexico on Thanksgiving Day.  Hopefully rock a sub 14 hour race, then relax on the beach with a Corona in hand.  

Here are a few pics from the last few months.... )and more info about IM COZUMEL).
Where's Karen?  (hint: wetsuits are for WIMPS)
My new tri bike

Tri team tent after the Augusta 70.3 
Franklin cheered so hard, he needed ice to cool down!
56 miles to Alabama and back = 112 IM distance!



1 comment:

  1. Wow....just reading this makes me tired! Best of luck to you in Mexico and hope your knee starts feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment??