08 December, 2009

Thanksgiving Whirlwind

What a whirlwind my Thanksgiving trip was! Gone for 2 weeks, visited 4 states, slept at 6 different family/friends houses, met two beautiful babies & two more on their way! I decided to make the trip to spend Thanksgiving with my family, even though it was tough going without Kent (he couldn't take off for this American holiday, especially just starting the job a month ago). I originally booked it for a little over a week, but ended up tacking on a work trip to NYC which added another 4 days.
The trip started with one short day in Atlanta visiting Sue, Richard & 8.5-months-along Baby Culberson. So great to see her - such a cute pregnant lady!! We had a great brunch with Robin & Emily and I renewed by fondness for fried green tomatoes (only in the South!). UPDATE: Sadie Grace was born on Dec. 11!
The next day I drove to Greenville to meet my new niece Amelia Maddison (oh, and to see Adam and Jenny too). :-) She was just shy of 2 months old and so cute and cuddly! It was nice to relax and get over my jet lag at their house and hold little A. Chilled out there for a few days, did some work (since Europe didn't have vacation) and then we all PACKED into the car (3 adults, 2 dogs, 1 baby and all of our luggage!) to drive home to Charleston.

Jen & Matt arrived in Charleston and the Cones did our annual Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. Gotta make room for lots of turkey and trimmings! We had a great dinner and relaxed....Jen, Mom and I braved the shopping the next day and were pretty successful. We did our Christmas gift exchange also, but the big event was saved for Sunday. Miss Amelia's baptism! She was such a little angel and didn't cry one bit. Here are a few photos of the baptism (and the cake I made for lunch afterwards!).

After the baptism, it was off to Raleigh with Jen & Matt. I got to see the recent decorations at their house, and the newly empty room awaiting nursery decoration. Jen took the Monday off work, we got to do some more shopping and I had the honor of going to the doctor with them to find out the sex of the baby. So amazing to see an ultrasound!!


Next stop was Durham (ok not too far from Raleigh..but hey...another city) to visit Anita, Jason and baby Adrian. I had a little work to take care of, but then got to hang with Anita and Adrian (and find out how tough it actually is to push a jog stoller up and down hills....dang!). We met up with Jen for dinner and I said farewell.....stayed with Anita that night and the next morning I was off.....



.....to New York City! I had 2 long days and one short night in NYC for work. My boss was also flying in that day and we met up with another colleague there to attend an event we were sponsoring that evening. That night I had the opportunity to stay with my friend Sarah from high school -- we hadn't seen each other in 10 YEARS! Since the last time I visited her in NYC during freshman year of college. WOW we stayed up late catching up! Long day of meetings the next day (with a FANTASTIC lunch at Eleven Madison Park, a restaurant where Potocki serves martinis). Rounded up my luggage and flew overnight back to London.........so exhausted when I got home!

It was great to see American flags everywhere in NYC!

PS - I am such an idiot and didn't take a single photo of myself with Sue, Anita & Adrian or Sarah!! DUH!!

PSS - I felt awful and sick with worry the whole time because Kent came down with swine flu on Thanksgiving DAY and was extremely sick the whole time I was gone!! Luckily some friends of ours could bring him medicine and food.....

That's it for now.....long post...phew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment??